Colonial Williamsburg®

What's New on History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

What’s New

This year, we take a moment to reflect on the legacy of artisans and laborers in America as they are represented in our Historic Trades program.

And there was no better spokesman for the program than Director of Historic Trades Jay Gaynor. He was devoted to preserving the tradition of the American tradesman, and his enthusiasm …

Continue Reading »

The deep red Peyton Randolph House is one of the oldest, most historic, and without doubt most beautiful of Colonial Williamsburg’s original 18th-century homes. The original structure was built in 1715 by William Robertson. Sir John Randolph purchased the house’s west wing in 1721. He bought the east lot for £50 on July 20, 1724, …

Continue Reading »

Celeriac

The Brassica seedlings are ready to be moved from the frame to the garden but first we must make room for them. In order to accommodate them we have harvested several varieties of root crops including celeriac, beetroot and carrots.

The celeriac, or celery root as some gardeners call it, is an obscure plant …

Continue Reading »

By Ben Swenson

Williamsburg pulsed with activity. “The streets were thronged with artillery, supply trains and soldiers,” Val Giles wrote, “and the huckster was there crying his wares, for war had no terror for the Virginia huckster with his old poor horse and two-wheel cart.”

Yet this stirring scene wasn’t happening in the 18th century, when American …

Continue Reading »

To understand the history of African religion in the colonies, the first thing you need to know is that there wasn’t just one African religion. As people from different regions of the continent were transported to servitude, they carried with them the faiths of their homelands: monotheistic, polytheistic, nature-based, saint-centered, and more.

Historian Harvey Bakari describes …

Continue Reading »

The William Lightfoot House stands on the south side of Duke of Gloucester Street, across the street from the Ludwell-Paradise House. This part of the Duke of Gloucester Street was less commercially attractive in the 18th century than the east end since it was farther away from the Capitol. The lots were not subdivided, so …

Continue Reading »


Switch to our mobile site